Thanks for joining the Ladies on Day Two of the Ultimate Blog Party! Today's interviewee: Christine
1. What's your favorite color to wear? Black. I've been told that I'm a "winter," so the power colors look best on me. My husband tried to break me of my attraction to black tops by introducing me to brown, but that was short-lived. I'm actually wearing a black top right now.
2. Is black your favorite color, then? No. That would be dreary, wouldn't it? Hands down, blue. Nothing is more appealing than
3. What are your favorite past times? Baking, yoga, and, odd as it might be, cleaning/organizing. It's a quick way to feel good. Mop a floor or scrub a bathtub and you instantly notice the fruits of your labor and are rewarded with something sparkling and orderly.
4. What is your favorite food? Lasagna. Veggie lasagna, to be precise, but any lasagna or even anything Italian will do. I used to have dreams of being Italian, living in the North End of Boston with my little window flower box, cooking with Carapelli olive oil, and vacationing in Tuscany.
5. So, you're not Italian then? No. I always get the question, "What are you?" or "Where are you from?" I never know how to answer that. Of course, from experience, I've come to realize people want to know my heritage. My mom is from Thailand and has a little bit of Indian in her. My dad has German in his line. Mix those together and you get the anomaly that's me. Most people think I'm Latina. My husband certainly did when he met me. The kicker is that Latinos used to actually talk to me in Spanish!
6. Who is your favorite fictional character? Either Hester Prynne or Katniss Everdeen (I know, I know, that's all the rage now). These are two women who made the most of a bad situation. I admire their strength, courage, and sacrifice.
7. What is your favorite drink? Good old, H2O, no ice, add the lemon occasionally.
8. What type of music do you listen to? I'm a top 40 on the pop charts kinda lady. Jewel (old school), Kelly Clarkson, and yes, even Rihanna. I, also love the Twilight soundtracks and groups like Linkin Park and Florence and the Machine.
9. What's your favorite movie? That's a hard one. I love watching movies and it's pretty easy to pull me in to just about any flick, especially romantic comedies or drama, but I'm sticking with a classic, "The Sound of Music." "The Notebook" and "Easy A," along with just about any Disney tween flick gets a notable mention, though.
10. What makes you happiest? My family, for sure. I mean, don't get me wrong. I have five small children and they make me want to rip my hair out at times. But, sometimes I just stop and wonder, "How did I get so lucky?" I have a wonderful husband, who absolutely adores me, and children who teach me what love is everyday. It doesn't get any better than that.
Lemon Poppyseed Cake with Mixed Berries
I found a recipe for a lemon poppyseed cake, here:
I doubled the cake recipe and used two 8" round pans, instead of the mini pans, and cut each cake into two layers. I brushed the syrup over the layers and made my own frosting:
3 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 1/2 C Cool Whip
Dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice by heating in a pan. Once cooled, fold it into the whipped topping.
Assemble the layers, with frosting and blueberries in between. Frost sides and top.
Arrange fresh berries on top. Voila: Yummy party cake!
Berry happily your friend,